Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Impeachment will happen because it doesn't do anything

I remember as a child being confused, that, after Bill Clinton's impeachment, he got to remain President. Since everyone was making a big fuss about it, I had just sort of assumed that impeachment meant he would get kicked out of office, and maybe even thrown in jail. The fact that he needed to be tried for removal by the Senate, and everyone knew that wasn't going to happen, made me question why impeachment was such a big deal in the first place.

This is why, I believe, Obama will get impeached. Impeachment doesn't do anything. The House of Representatives get to have a big show for a couple of days, subpoena some witnesses, raise some campaign cash, and then we all get to go back to regular business once the Senate refuses to convict.

The other reason I think Obama will be impeached, is the inability of the current Republican party, and the conservative noise machine behind it, to let things go. Here is how political scandals should work: Step 1) you find out something potentially politically embarrassing about your opponent; Step 2) you make a big deal about it on TV to embarrass them, and claim that this is just the tip of the iceberg; Step 3) once it becomes apparent that there isn't much more to find, you move move on. But the Republicans have a different strategy: Step 1) you find out something potentially politically embarrassing about your opponent; Step 2) you make a big deal about it on TV to embarrass them, and claim that this is just the tip of the iceberg; Step 3) keep doing this, forever.

I thought that the emergence of the "AP" and "IRS" scandals would give Republicans a chance to transition away from Benghazi allegations that weren't really panning out. But instead, they have doubled down on the allegations. If Republicans can't transition away from any scandal, the end game is likely to be impeachment proceedings.

Making predictions is always a bad idea. But I am relatively confident that Obama will get impeached at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment