Monday, 13 August 2012

Ryan is a fine VP pick

There has been some excitement from Democrats about the Ryan pick. Some feel like his budget will sink the Romney campaign because the medicare cuts are unpopular, etc. I don't think this is the case for two reasons. First, the VP pick doesn't really matter. Second, Ryan is above all a good politician. Despite voting for all the Bush spending he has been able to reposition himself as a small government conservative with conviction. I have no doubt that he will be able to explain to voters that his budget plan may have been too aggressive but he wanted to get people talking and thinking about serious entitlement reform. On 60 minutes last night him and Romney got a lot of softballs but Ryan showed that he has a real knack for answering questions slightly different from those posed to him by interviewers with a lot of detail and specifics, making it seem like he answered the question posed. He also talks fast so he seems really smart (the Sorkin effect). I might be wrong but I think its a fine pick by Romney.

No comments:

Post a Comment